February 28th, 2011
Welcome to our first newsletter for 2011.
I guess the best place to start our first newsletter is way back in November when our last guests for 2010 departed and we kicked off the annual refurbishment … this was a biggie!!
Our first mission was replacing all the roofs which took us around 3 weeks till all the buildings were covered with nice (totally weather resistant) roofing as you can see from the pictures it was a pretty big affair that kept and few local families busy and cashed up for Christmas.
The main house had an extensive renovation and has an all new feel. During December (while the surf was firing) we carried out the following:
- Total re-tiling of the showers.
- New vanity units, basins, taps, mirrors, boardshort hooks.
- A complete replacement of the entire electrical system in an enclosed conduit system with all new control boxes for each building.
- All new lamp shades.
- 16 new dining chairs.
- 3 new ceiling fans in the mai n house.
- All new air-conditioning units in all buildings.
- 2 new feature walls in the main house bedrooms.
- All new wall linings and beading in the main house and bungalow.
- New glass windows in all the bedrooms and bungalow.
- Carpet throughout all the bedrooms.
- All new linen and towels.
- All new curtains in the main house.
- New wooden venetian blinds in all the bedrooms.
- A massive new deck on the front lawn of the main house and two new decks for the garden area.
- All new sun-lounges and outdoor furniture.
- All new garden, path and deck lighting.
- All new larger outdoor umbrellas.
- A new home theatre system.
- 8 new fans for the bedrooms.
- Wall mount reading lamps for each bed.
- Total landscaping of all the gardens and lawns.
- Re-varnish of all the buildings and decks.
- New sliding window for the bar for quick access from the deck.
- Outdoor railings for towels and boardies on the main house rooms.
On the Marine operations front we have been active as well with the following improvements:
- Brand new engines, paint, cushions, carpets, board racks and freshwater shower for the white boat “80 Down”.
- Total re-paint, carpeting, and sound system for the blue boat 0 Down.
- Rebuild of our lagoon tender “Bombay Sapphire”
- 16 new cloth board covers for guest usage.
On the guest services front there have been some great changes as well:
- Extra room service staff.
- Training and refinement of the chefs and kitchen operations.
- Inclusion of a full time traditional Indonesian Masseuse.
- Cold Water dispensers in all rooms reducing the amount of plastic waste we produce.
- New improved higher speed broadband.
In a nutshell you won’t know the place and our first few groups who included long time repeat guests were “Blown Away”.
Surfwise we are pleased to report that the so called “Off Season” was far from off!! November, December and January all produced great surf and December in particular really turned on with blue skies and light winds brushing surf in the 3-5 foot range into perfect shape.
Our first guests arrived February 4 and scored some great days out at “Sigata” as well as “Max’s Left” and the wave out front. Group two had a good run as well with really fun surf most days then probably the best morning quality and size wise that we have seen on “Max’s Left” for a few years on the 25th of February. The swell jumped from 3 feet to 6 overnight and light off-shores produced something straight out of a surfers dream. We had our change over at 2.30pm that day and the guests in group 3 were straight into quality waves with a quick surf at “The Bubble” 30 minutes after arrival and then a wrap up surf out the front.
The first full day of Group 3 saw us riding fun 3-5 foot tubes at “GT’s” with not another soul in sight and we then followed up with a surf out front right before the first good rain since November hit breaking our “Drought”.
As part of our mission to provide a surfing escape without equal we have recently signed a deal with the surf company Quiksilver that will see the lodge using Quiksilver products exclusively in our Marine operations deptartment during 2011. The BIG plus is that ANY guest who has booked and paid for a trip to Telo Island Lodge can present our discount voucher for 20% off Quiksilver products at any Quiksilver store nation wide.
As you can see from the photos it’s been a fantastic year for surf so far and hopefully an indicator of things to come.
Kellie still has a few random spots available for 2011 and there is a similar amount available for 2012 so if you are planning an Indonesian surf escape doesn’t hesitate to contact her email@example.com . We are also planning to release our 2013 dates in the next couple of weeks so standby for those as well.
Surf reports go live March 1st and we will broadcast the link that day.
Look forward to seeing you soon.
Staff and Management Telo Island Lodge
Ok people the season has been underway for a month or so and we have already had three groups through so it's time to fire up the New, Surf Reports and Newsletters. Stay tuned to watch the site transform across the next month with Daily Reports, Video and a bunch of other stuff. There is an assortment of pics (just put your cursor on the pic for the caption to appear) from Dec-Feb below for you to check out!
View our fishing gallery and read more about the trips click here!